in the Shropshire Hills
We’ll be back for 2020
the friendliest of walking Festivals
Bishop’s Castle is a small market town surrounded by the wonderful Shropshire Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, near the Welsh border and off the beaten track. The festival welcomes walkers of all abilities and each day offers a range of walks from leisurely to strenuous.
Our 22nd annual Walking Festival will be held over four days, from Thursday 14th to Sunday 17th May 2020, when the countryside is at its best. The area is a walker’s paradise, with local footpaths leading over open hilltops, through winding valleys, tiny hamlets, country lanes and sometime the remains of ancient hill forts. There are many amazing views.
Friendly and relaxed, our guided walks are led by experienced local volunteers. Most walks, cost about £3.50 per person per walk; under sixteens are free, though must be accompanied by an adult. Walk details will be available and show any other costs involved, such as possible transport fees. Where transport is needed to the start of the walk, we will car-share or use community transport. (Please see note in the Small Print about car-sharing.) Where walks finish in Bishop’s Castle or near a café or pub, there will be the option of tea and cakes or a pint.
As in previous years, there will be a programme of evening events and walkers will find good accommodation, pubs and cafés and a very interesting little town to explore.
For accommodation providers in and around Bishop’s Castle, visit:
The Small Print
- Walk bookings will close at 6pm on the day before the walk.
- Please note we cannot guarantee a place on any walk which has not been booked.
- Even in the worst of weathers, Walk Leaders will always be at the meeting point and make a decision about walking.
- The Walk Leaders’ mobile phone numbers will be printed on the tickets. This is for last-minute problems only on the night before or the morning of the walk. For all other queries, contact us: email@example.com.
- Important: Will everyone joining a car-sharing walk please bring their cars to the Meeting Point if they have them, in case they are needed.
- Please arrive at the Meeting Point 10 to 15 minutes before the start of the walk.
- Please come prepared for all-weather, hills and mud and bring suitable clothing and footwear.
- Please bring drink and food as suggested in the walk details. Food to take away is available in the town.
- No dogs please because of sheep and cattle in the fields.