in the Shropshire Hills
16 – 20 May 2018
– the friendliest of walking festivals
Bishop’s Castle is a small market town surrounded by the wonderful Shropshire Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, near the Welsh border and off the beaten track. It is a welcoming place.
Our 19th annual Walking Festival will be held over five days in May, when the countryside is at its best. The area is a walker’s paradise, with local footpaths leading over open hilltops, through winding valleys, tiny hamlets, country lanes and sometimes the remains of ancient hill forts. There are many amazing views.
Friendly and relaxed, our guided walks are led by experienced local volunteers. Some walks have a theme, such as Elsie’s Walk which follows a 1960s postwoman’s daily round up on the Stiperstones, or visiting places featured in Malcolm Saville’s Lone Pine books. Walk Leaders are happy to answer any queries about their walks, so please don’t hesitate to contact them. For any other enquiries, contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Walks, apart from two ‘specials’, cost £3 per person per walk; under sixteens are free, though must be accompanied by an adult. Our Walk Details show any other costs involved, like possible transport fees. Where transport is needed to the start of the walk, we have tried to use community transport or, where possible, car-share. (Please see note in the Small Print about car-sharing.) Where walks finish in Bishop’s Castle or near a café or pub, there will be the option of tea and cakes or a pint.
We have five evening events planned, good accommodation, pubs and cafés and a very interesting little town to explore.
Accommodation providers in and around Bishop’s Castle: www.bishopscastle.co.uk/tourism.
The Small Print
- Bookings will close at 6pm on the day before the walk.
- Please note we cannot guarantee a place on any walk which has not been booked.
- Even in the worst of weathers, Walk Leaders will always be at the meeting point and make a decision about walking.
- The Walk Leaders’ mobile phone numbers will be printed on the tickets. This is for last-minute problems only on the night before or the morning of the walk. For all other queries, contact us: email@example.com.
- Important: Will everyone joining a car-sharing walk please bring their cars to the Meeting Point if they have them, in case they are needed.
- Please arrive at the Meeting Point 10 to 15 minutes before the start of the walk.
- Please come prepared for all-weather, hills and mud and bring suitable clothing and footwear.
- Please bring drink and food as suggested in the walk details. Food to take away is available in the town.
- No dogs please because of sheep and cattle in the fields.
Proudly supporting Shropshire Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
on its 60th Anniversary